Dropped kerb application

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we will not be accepting any new dropped kerb applications.

See further information about changes to services.

If you want to cross the pavement to access your property, you must get a dropped kerb. You are not permitted to drive over a pavement which has not been constructed for that purpose.

We provide a quotation and construction service if you need to drop the kerb outside your property to access your land or driveway. 

The procedure to extend an existing dropped kerb is the same as for a new one.

If you choose us we will:

  • provide a fixed price quote, valid for 6 months, which will include any additional works
  • get information from utility companies on your behalf
  • schedule the work and let you know the date in advance
  • send you an invoice after the work is complete 

Once we have received your application, we will visit the site and let you know within 10 working days whether or not your application has been approved. If you live on a main road, this may take longer.

If your application is approved, and you choose BCP Council to carry out the works, the cost will depend on the size of the crossing that is approved. As an indication only, a standard crossing with 3 dropped kerbs and tapered kerbs at each end would be approximately £1,200. Work carried out by BCP Council is exempt from VAT.

There may be extra costs if we need to move street furniture, a street light, or change parking restrictions. We'll let you know if any of these are relevant to your application.

We are currently estimating completion of the works within 4-6 weeks.

If you choose someone else to carry out the work, please check they are qualified to work on the highway. We cannot recommend contractors.

Your contractor must apply for a section 171 licence. Full details of how to apply are on our application form.

How to apply

To apply, please complete our dropped kerb application form.

The application fee is £95 (payable on application - non refundable)

If you are a business requiring work on or off the highway please contact Poole Business Services.

You will need:

  • to login or create an online account with us
  • details of the exact location
  • a drawing, plan or photograph of the location to upload
  • a credit or debit card


Please read the dropped crossing conditionsbefore applying.

Page last updated: 14 May 2020
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.