Demonstrations and parades

Sometimes, in special circumstances, roads are closed to allow sporting events, demonstrations or parades to take place.

If the road needs to be closed to general traffic, a temporary road closure, which requires a traffic regulation order, has to be granted with written agreement from the police. 

A minimum of 6 weeks notice is required for small events and a minimum of 3 months is needed for larger events. This ensures there is enough time to organise them properly.

The event organiser needs to meet all the costs involved for both the closure and diversion signing.

Usually roads, which are closed for sporting events, can only be closed once a year without the consent of the secretary of state.

Demonstrations are handled by the police so that they can make the appropriate arrangements. 

For more information about this, please e-mail

Page last updated: 07 September 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.