Supporting evidence required for a disabled person's bus pass

If you apply for a bus pass because you have a disability, you will need to provide proof of your disability. 

Please note: following changes to Blue Badge regulations, from 30 August 2019, a Blue Badge for disabled parking can no longer be accepted as evidence of automatic entitlement for a concessionary bus pass. 

All applicants applying after 30 August 2019 will therefore need to provide other proof of eligibility. A copy of the following documents can be accepted:

Blind or partially sighted

  • Adult Social Care sight impaired or blind registration card
  • certificate of visual impairment signed by a consultant ophthalmologist

Profoundly or severely deaf

  • Adult Social Care hearing impaired or deaf registration card
  • a copy of a supporting letter from a medical professional (for example, an aural specialist) stating that your hearing is at 70+dBHL

Without speech

  • Adult Social Care registration card showing that you are without speech
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award of at least 8 points under the "communicating verbally" category
  • a letter from a medical professional confirming you are unable to communicate orally in any language - this does not include slow or difficult to understand speech 

If you do not have arms or have lost the use of both arms

  • a copy of a letter from a medical professional confirming that you have a long term loss of the use of both arms, for example, greater than 12 months

Learning disability

  • Adult Social Care disabled person's registration card
  • a copy of evidence of qualifying for specialist services, for example, from social services
  • evidence that you are receiving/have received a statement of special education needs or an educational, health and care plan

Have been or would be refused a driving licence for medical reasons

Excluding the misuse of drugs or alcohol. 

  • a recent letter from the DVLA either refusing or withdrawing your driving licence for medical reasons
  • a copy of other recent medical evidence confirming that if you were to apply for a driving licence you would be refused due to your current disability/medical condition, what that condition is and whether it is permanent or temporary

Have a disability, or suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to walk

  • a copy of your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award showing at least 8 points for the 'moving around' activity
  • a copy of your Disability Living Allowance award at the higher rate of the mobility component
  • Adult Social Care disabled person's registration card
  • a copy of your current disabled person's blue parking badge issued prior to 30 August 2019

Member/veteran of the Armed Services seriously injured in service

  • an award letter for a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • an award letter for the guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
Page last updated: 20 August 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.