Providing the testing station has not changed ownership and the vehicle is brought back to the same test station and retested before the end of the next working day.
No additional fee (partial re-examination) on one or more of the following items only:
- access panels
- boot lid
- brake pedal anti-slip
- break glass hammer**
- doors (including hinges, catches and pillars)
- door open warning service**
- electrical wiring
- emergency exits and signs**
- entrance door remote control**
- entrance/exit steps**
- fuel filler cap
- headlamp cleaning or levelling devices (not requiring a headlamp aim check)
- lamps (excluding headlamp aim)
- loading door
- main beam 'tell-tale'
- rear reflectors
- registration plates
- seat belts (but not anchorages)
- seat belt load limiter
- seat belt pre-tensioner
- sharp edges or projections
- steering wheel
- towbars (excluding body around anchorage points)
- trailer electrical sockets
- tyre pressure monitoring system
- vehicle identification number (VIN)
- windscreen and glass
- windscreen wipers/washers
- wheels* and tyres*
*excludes class 1 and 2
**class 5 only
If the vehicle is left at the testing station for repair and is retested before the end of 10 working days following the day of the initial failure, then only a partial retest is needed for which no fee may be charged.
If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the initial failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee may be charged.
Only one Partial Re-Examination is permissible per full examination.
In any other case full re-examination - Full fee
Appeal test fee - Full fee
If you wish to appeal against refusal to issue a test certificate for your vehicle:
- ask for a form (VT17) - obtainable from this testing station or the DVSA website
- send the form to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency customer service centre, address shown below, within 14 days of the refusal notice issue date
- if your appeal is successful, the fee or, if appropriate, part of it will be returned to you
- do not have your vehicle repaired before your appeal is considered. This is because any change to your vehicle may affect the outcome of the appeal
DVSA customer service centre
DVSA, The Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
0300 123 9000*
*Calls provided by BT are charged at a low rate. Charges from other providers may vary. Your call may be monitored or recorded for lawful purposes.
Page last updated: 01 May 2020