Your contribution to your care costs

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

If you are assessed by Adult Social Care as having eligible needs we will allocate you a Personal Budget to meet those needs. We are entitled to ask for a contribution from you towards this Personal Budget. We call this client contribution. A Personal Budget is usually taken as a Direct Payment if you want to arrange personal care and/or day opportunities for yourself or as ‘commissioned care’ if you would like us to arrange these services for you.

Our charging policy follows Care Act guidance for calculating how much a person should contribute to their Personal Budget.

What this means

You will be offered a financial assessment to determine the sum of money you can afford to pay as a contribution towards your care which we will then ‘top up’ to meet the full cost of your Personal Budget. If you have savings of more than £23,250 then you will have to pay the full cost of meeting your care needs. 

By asking for this single means tested contribution towards the full cost of your care we are ensuring that the process is fair and equitable for all users, you will not be asked to pay more than your maximum contribution irrespective of the amount of care or type of services you receive.

If you do not want a financial assessment you will be expected to contribute the full cost of your Personal Budget.

Assessment of charges

We will complete a financial assessment to determine the amount you can contribute towards your care and support costs. This will be based on your income, capital, housing related expenditure and disability related expenditure.

The financial assessment will refer to Care and Support Statutory Guidance for all disregards in respect of income and capital when considering your financial resources.

Income includes a sliding scale of contributions from any savings you have, if these are between £14,250 and £23,250. Savings below £14,250 are ignored.

Our duty

It is our duty to make sure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to so when you receive a call from one of our visiting officers they can do a full benefit check for you.

How we financially assess what you will pay

A financial assessment officer will contact you to arrange an assessment to work out what your contribution will be. This may be a visit to your home, a phone call or they can send you the form. They will:

  • check your income and capital, and consider disability related expenses
  • provide welfare benefits advice and make sure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to
  • advise you of your client contribution and confirm this in writing 

Help and support

If there is a relative or friend who usually supports you, or helps you deal with your financial affairs, you can ask them to attend the appointment with you. Alternatively, we can arrange to see them separately but only if we have your permission.

Making your contributions

If you have been financially assessed to make a contribution towards your care this will be payable from the day you start to receive care.

It is important that you make every effort to complete your financial assessment promptly.

When we have received all the information needed to agree your contribution any over payment will be refunded.

How to pay

Although we calculate the Personal Budget and your contribution on a weekly basis your actual contribution will be ‘collected’ every 4 weeks.

If you receive your Personal Budget through a Direct Payment then your contribution will be deducted from the amount of money you receive every 4 weeks. You may sometimes hear this referred to as receiving your Direct Payment ‘net of contribution’. You will be expected to set up regular payments into your Direct Payment bank account to cover your contribution. For further information please refer to the information on Direct Payments.

If you receive your Personal Budget through commissioned services arranged by us we will ‘collect’ your contribution by sending you an invoice every 4 weeks which will show you all the ways you can pay.

Please note that invoice dates are set at the start of the financial year in April.  Your first invoice will be for the current 4 week billing period plus any additional weeks that have elapsed since the start of your care. This means that the first invoice you receive could be for a large amount of money. When you receive this invoice you should telephone the number given to agree how to pay any arrears and how you would like to pay for your ongoing care.  

Changes to your financial circumstances

If your income, savings, investments, expenses or other circumstances change you can phone the Financial Assessment team on 01202 123666 to discuss whether this will make a change to your contribution.

Cancelling your services

If you need to cancel homecare, day care or transport because of a holiday, respite or a planned hospital visit for example. then you must contact your service provider giving a minimum of 72 hours notice. Your service provider will then inform us.

It is possible that the amount you are asked to contribute could change if you have an extended period of not attending a day opportunity or do not receive your commissioned homecare. However, most people will see no change as their contribution is likely to be lower than the cost of the services they receive. For this reason we will not recalculate your contribution for any absences unless you specifically ask us to. You can do this by phoning the Adult Social Care Finance team on 01202 633601.

Failure to give 72 hours notice where it is reasonable to do so could mean that you will be required to contribute to the service.

You will not be asked to make a contribution towards services that are ‘missed’ if the reason is unavoidable or is due to unplanned hospital admittance.

For permanent changes to your care arrangements you will need to contact your Care Manager/Social Worker.

Page last updated: 12 April 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.