Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we have made changes to our services for vulnerable adults to make sure that they are both effective and safe.
See further information about changes to services.
Current situation in the UK
- dementia affects 5% of the over 65s and 20% of the over 80s
- the proportion of those with dementia doubles every 5 years
- some 70% of care home clients have dementia
Current care home places in Poole
- 36 care homes with 1,150 places, 222 of these are reserved specifically for those with dementia or mental disorders
- we support 411 clients in residential or nursing homes, 214 of these clients have dementia
Projected situation in the UK
- By 2025 it is estimated there will be more than 1 million people with dementia and more than 1.7 million people by 2050
Projected care home places in Poole: 2025
Overall the estimated requirement to meet the projected need in 2025 is for an additional 378 places for those with dementia made up of nursing (190), residential (170) and 18 respite beds.
Read the full 'Needs Assessment for Residential & Nursing Care for People with Dementia to 2025' Social Services report.
Page last updated: 28 April 2020