We have specialist skills and knowledge and are able to offer practical advice and support.
The Sight and Hearing Services Team helps people who live in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole who have serious difficulties with their sight, hearing or both.
The team consists of workers with specialist skills or knowledge who can provide information and advice on independent living skills. We use a strengths-based approach, meaning we look at your skills, abilities, priorities and what is available in your community to meet your needs.
Our services include:
- practical advice on managing in your home
- mobility training to help you get about safely
- help with and advice on communication skills
- information about specialist equipment to help with day-to-day living
- registration of sight and/or hearing impaired people or people who are deafblind, where appropriate, with BCP Council
- details of local and national voluntary agencies who also offer advice and support.
Equipment to help you
We will work with you to assess your eligible needs in accordance with the Care Act 2014.
There is a wide variety of equipment to help you maintain your independence. Some typical aids which may meet your needs are as follows:
- talking clocks and watches
- big button telephones
- electronic reading aids
- amplifying equipment for televisions and doorbells.
Local charity Bournemouth Blind Society has a resource room, Rooper Hall, where you can try out equipment and aids to help you with day-to-day living. You do not need a referral or appointment to visit the resource room.
Rooper Hall is based at:
Bournemouth Blind Society
5 Victoria Park Road
Telephone: 01202 546644
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 10am to 1pm
Contacting the Sight and Hearing Services Team
You can get in touch with us yourself or you can ask a relative, friend, GP, consultant or district nurse to contact us on your behalf through the Adult Social Care Contact Centre.
Contact us by:
Complete a self assessment online
Other useful contacts
Page last updated: 29 January 2021