Adult social care: comments, compliments and complaints

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

We aim to provide good quality services for our residents and visitors and are really keen to hear what you think. We are committed to learning from your comments, complaints and compliments as this helps us improve our services.

Please tell us if:

  • we have done something wrong or badly
  • we have done something well
  • we have not done something that we should have
  • you feel you’ve been treated badly or unfairly
  • you think we could change things for the better

How to get in touch

Please tell the people who provide the service (you could ask a friend or relative to speak on your behalf if you wish). Alternatively you can contact:

The Complaints and Improvement Officer
Adult Social Care Commissioning
BCP Council
Civic Centre
BH15 2RT


You can make a complaint using our online form.

Read our comments, compliments and complaints fact sheet for more information.

Our  Tell Us About It! page gives details of how you can actively get involved and work with us to improve services.

If you want to make a complaint we will 'listen, respond and improve'.



  • make sure we really understand the issues
  • find out what you want to happen
  • discuss a plan of how we will deal with your complaint and any outcome you are seeking
  • keep you informed of how your complaint is progressing
  • act quickly if we can

We will need to check that you (or the person on whose behalf you are making a complaint) are either receiving services or may be eligible for them.

If your complaint involves both Health and Adult Social Care Services you will receive one single response from the organisation, which takes overall responsibility for answering your complaint. That organisation will speak to the others involved to ensure all points of the complaint are addressed and answered.


We will work with you to plan how best to deal with your complaint, and acknowledge this within 3 working days.

There are a number of ways that we can address the issues of your complaint including:

  • asking the relevant team manager to talk through the issues with you, followed by a letter of response
  • arranging a meeting with yourself and key people involved in the complaint to discuss the issues
  • arranging for a formal investigation to take place

Whatever option we take we will discuss this with you and advise you of how long it is likely to take for you to find out the outcome.

If a formal investigation needs to take place, it will be carried out by someone who does not directly provide you with services. This person will speak to you and the other people involved and then prepare a draft report which they will share with you and key people involved, to check for factual accuracy.

They will then produce a final report with conclusions and recommendations. A senior officer will write to you on completion of the investigation, offering a formal response to your complaint. This response will include a copy of the final report.


Complaints give us valuable understanding of people’s experiences and where we might be going wrong.

As a result we are committed to learning from complaints, improving our services and advising people of the changes we have made.

Our Annual Complaints Report and the  Tell Us About It! page give details of some of the things we have learnt and changes we have made as a result of complaints.

Other things you can do

If, following the final response from the senior officer, we are unable to resolve your complaint, you can refer it to The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman who is entirely independent from the council. The Ombudsman can investigate a complaint regarding delay, unfairness, inefficiency or a similar defect in the way a decision is reached by the council (but not the merits of the decision itself). The Ombudsman will not normally make an investigation until the council has had a chance to resolve the matter locally through its own complaints procedure.

Complaints about services from independent providers

If you are receiving services from an agency or care home you should normally make your initial complaint to the manager of that service. It would be helpful if you send us a copy of your complaint and the response to help us monitor our providers.

If this does not sort the problem out (and we are paying towards your service), you can seek advice from our complaints manager on how best to take your complaint further:

Most care agencies and care homes are registered with the Care Quality Commission. They are interested in concerns or complaints that might be a breach of the regulated standards that agencies and homes have to meet.

Useful addresses

Adult Social Care Contac Centre  
BCP Council
Civic Centre
BH15 2RT

Telephone: 01202 123654

Citizens Advice Bureau
Beech House
28 to 30 Wimborne Road
BH15 2BU

Telephone: 03442 451 291 (Dorset Adviceline)

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
CQC National Customer Service Centre
Newcastle Upon Tyne

Telephone: 03000 616161

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Telephone: 024 7682 0000

Page last updated: 29 January 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.