Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we have made changes to our services for vulnerable adults to make sure that they are both effective and safe.

See further information about changes to services.


Independent housing means that you have signed a tenancy or license agreement. You will be responsible for paying rent, being a good neighbour and keeping the accommodation clean and in good repair.

Your personal advisor or social worker will arrange for you to have a housing options appointment. You will meet with an advisor who will speak with you about your options and together you will decide when this is right for you. 

Your personal advisor or social worker may ask for some evidence such as proof that you’ve paid all your bills and can manage all of your appointments. They will also need to see that you have been a good neighbour by not creating too much noise or inviting a lot of friends over. They will also want to know that you can keep yourself safe and know how to respond to an emergency.

You may choose to move into private rented accommodation or ask to be put on the housing register for a Local Authority tenancy. You are entitled to a £2,000 Setting Up Home Allowance when you move to your permanent property.

Page last updated: 28 April 2020
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.