Apply for free school meals
You can download a copy of the application form. Application forms can also be obtained from schools.
If you decide to complete a hard copy, please print the form, sign it and return it to:
Children, Young People and Learning
If your child attends Heatherlands Primary School you must contact the school directly about how to apply.
By claiming free school meals you can get extra money for your child’s school
Where a child qualifies for free school meals because their parent is in receipt of one of the benefits below the school will receive additional funding in the form of the Pupil Premium.
Eligibility for free school meals
Free school meals are available for children whose parents receive:
- Income Support
- Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
- Child Tax Credit based on income below £16,190
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Asylum Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' (this is the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400
Children who receive Income Support or income based Jobseeker's Allowance in their own right qualify as well.
Families who receive any level of Working Tax Credit are not entitled to free school meals.
For children in reception, year 1 and year 2 the school will only receive Pupil Premium if you register for Pupil Premium and are in receipt of one of the benefits above. If you do not register for Pupil Premium your school will not get the additional funds to help them support low income families in the school.
Find out more about how to register for Pupil Premium.
Universal Infant Free School Meals and Chartwells
We have prepared these Frequently Asked Questionsin response to public enquiries about free school meal provision by Chartwells.
We will update this document as we receive more questions or as more information becomes available.
You can also download the latest update letterfrom Chartwells.
Page last updated: 07 September 2021