Registering a building of worship

Under the provision of the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855, a congregation may request that a building of worship be certified by requesting an application form from the Superintendant Registrar in the district where the venue is situated. This excludes churches or chapels of the Church of England, unless it shares a church building with another religious denomination.

Once the Register Office receives all the relevant information, it will be sent to the General Register Office (GRO) for authorisation.

Once the GRO certify a building for worship and marriage, the Register Office are required to advertise the new place of worship in the local newspaper. We then send the applicant the certificate stating it is now a place of worship and marriage, and write to confirm this.

Page last updated: 03 September 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.