Applying for planning permission

Some types of minor building work and changes of use are classed as ‘permitted development’. This means that they can be carried out without needing formal planning permission. These include some small extensions, alterations to windows and changes to boundary treatments.

The regulations are complex. Many properties do not benefit from full permitted development rights. It is important to make sure you know what you can do before going ahead with any work.

Further general guidance on permitted development is available on the Planning Portal. The interactive house guide may be useful.

Lawful Development Certificates

If you know that your proposal does not need planning permission and you would like formal confirmation, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC).

In this case, you will receive a decision notice, which is a legal document. Your application will be recorded in the public register of planning applications.

This can be useful if you plan to sell your property and would like to be able to prove that alterations were lawful.

Page last updated: 29 April 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.