Search of our records

Our records are only available to the homeowner, or to solicitors. The documents provided by a designer do however remain subject to copyright laws. Therefore, before any drawings, calculations or other documentation can be copied the designers consent will be required and should be provided with any request of documents.

Administration and copying charges are as detailed in the council’s Scheme of Publication are detailed below. The aim of levying these charges is to avoid the burden of the costs falling on all Council Tax payers.

  • £45 + VAT (£54) for a search of our records only (payable on each separate property)
  • £5+ VAT (£6) for a copy of any notices or certificates requested, per copy
  • £0.50 + VAT (£0.60) for a copy of A4 sheet of correspondence, per copy
  • £10 + VAT (£12) administration charge for copying of drawings in-house (max A3 size)

Through an external company we also have the facility to copy microfilmed drawings back to their original paper size from microfilm and if you have a requirement for a large amount of drawings we offer a scanning facility to scan drawings on to CD Rom and index accordingly. There is an additional charge for this and prices are available on request. Please note that these requests may take longer than 10 working days.

Important information

  • all charges are non-refundable
  • we only retain records from 1990 onwards. Detailed information about individual properties prior to the beginning of this period may be obtained by contacting the Dorset History Centre
  • in relation to viewing the microfiche records, the fee will still apply and no unauthorised copying is permitted during the viewing of microfilms or copying of any documents by camera or any other means

All requests for information will generally be provided within 10 working days of receipt of requests where the necessary fees have been paid. Method of payment that we accept are: cash, cheque or debit/credit card.

Where verbal confirmation of site conditions or any outstanding contraventions/inspections etc. are required the matter will be passed to one of our District Surveyors for action. They will then determine the validity of the request and make a judgement about the extent to which information can be provided.

Page last updated: 02 April 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.