Do you have a child born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014? If so, then you need to apply for a school place for September 2018.
Parents can apply online now, with all applications due by the closing date of 15 January 2018.
The Family Information Service can help with the application process and any queries you may have, as well as offering advice on preparing children for school, out of school childcare and other services available to help. The Family Information Service can be found in the Welcome Area above Poole Central Library in the Dolphin Centre, with easy access for pushchairs and wheelchairs, and is open between 9am and 5.15pm from Monday to Thursday, and between 9am and 4.45pm on Friday.
It's important to apply on time to give yourself the best chance of a place at the school you would most like. It’s a good idea to visit schools to help you decide which ones to apply for. Most schools hold open days and evenings where you can look around the school, meet teachers and ask any questions you might have. You can find out about open days by contacting schools directly, or visit the schools and learning page of Poole’s Family Information Directory (FID) for open days, school details and links to school websites.
Applying for a school place can be confusing - there are lots of myths out there about the process. We’ve put together some useful tips to help!
- The closing date for applications is 15 January 2018. It is important to apply by this date
- Places are not allocated on a first come, first served basis, so you can take your time selecting your school preference, as long as you apply by the closing date
- Have a look at the Parent/Carer’s Guide for 2018/19, which is available to download on our website and contains details of which schools receive more applications than places available, and which have changed their admission policies
- Contact the schools you are interested in and attend an open day
- It’s quick and easy to apply online, or you can fill in a paper application form. If you do create an online account you can also use this to find out which school you have been offered on 16 April 2018
- Name up to 3 different schools on your application. Think carefully about the order they are listed, you should put your most preferred school as first preference
- Thinking about a church school? If you are applying for religious reasons you will need to complete the Supplementary Information Form (SIF) as well as your application form. Forms for Poole schools are available from the school admissions team or Family Information Service. If you are applying for a church school in another area you must check what information is needed
Preparing Your Child for School
Starting school is a big step for parents and children alike – with lots of excitement and nerves! If you are worried about how your child will cope with school, there is lots you can do to help get them ready, with helpful advice available in Poole 0-5 Services’ downloadable leaflet, which looks at seven key skills to help children in their first school year. More information can be found in the schools and learning pages of the Family Information Directory.
For more information on applying for a school place please contact the Admissions Team:
Phone: 01202 261936
Website: www.poole.gov.uk/schooladmissions www.poolefamilyinformationdirectory.com