About reading groups
Joining a reading group is a great way to share the pleasure of reading, exchange views on books with others and read titles you might not try on your own.
There are reading groups for everyone to join at all our libraries. You can find more details of meetings by looking at our library events, or by asking in your local library.
Or you could get together with your friends and have a reading group at home, in the pub, over dinner... there are lots of possibilities. Just enjoy reading and talking about books, and use our special group membership so you can get a copy each of your chosen book - free.
We also have weekly shared reading groups where you can sit back, relax, listen to short stories and poems, and chat about what we have read together.
No need to read anything between meetings, just turn up and enjoy the stories. There are groups at Broadstone, Oakdale, Poole Central and Rossmore Libraries.
How we can help reading groups:
- ask us for support and advice on setting up and running a reading group
- get a ‘Reading Group’ library card which allows your group to borrow titles from our reading group collection for up to 7 weeks
- look at our special collection of over 100 titles exclusively for the use of reading groups. We also have an additional list of exclusive reading group titles. There are 10 copies of each title plus a large print and audio copy if available.
- choose up to 20 titles from the list and tell us the dates of your meetings; we’ll deliver the books to your local library for you to pick up in time for each meeting
- get regular news by email about book promotions, author visits and other events
- meet in your local library - contact us to see what can be arranged
Shared reading with the Region of Readers
Join us for free at a shared reading group. We get together in small groups each week to share stories and have a chat about what we've read.
You don't need to be a keen reader to take part, this is all about having the space to relax and get creative. You can take part as much or as little as you like, share your thoughts or just sit back and relax, while one of our volunteers reads some of the world's best writing, aloud.
Your local shared reading groups are:
Delivered in partnership with Literature Works, The Reader, South Western Regional Library Service (SWRLS) and 6 South West Library Services.
Reading group websites
For more ideas and reviews check out the following websites:
Page last updated: 18 September 2018