How to borrow an ebook:
- go to the Poole Libraries ebook site and enter your library membership number and PIN
- browse the site to find a title you would like to borrow and click on the cover image
- if the title is available to borrow, click on add to basket
- choose how long you would like to borrow the ebook for (up to a maximum of 21 days), and click on Checkout
- click on the 'Manage Loans/Reservations' link and click 'Download' once it has finished processing
You will be prompted to download Adobe Digital Editions software if you don't already have it installed; otherwise you will be able to proceed directly to download the ebook. If you are using a web enabled device such as a tablet or smartphone you wont need to install Adobe Digital Editions but will need to use a free app such as Bluefire Reader or Aldiko.
How it works
- free to use. Borrow up to 5 at any one time
- choose how long you want to borrow it for, up to a maximum of 21 days (please note that due to licensing restrictions an ebook cannot be returned early)
- no overdue charges ebooks automatically expire at the end of the loan period
- use with a wide range of ebook readers (including Kobo, Nook, and Sony Reader) and other devices including smart phones and tablets. Unfortunately you will not be able to use this service with most models of the Amazon Kindle. However, you can use the service with the Kindle Fire
- reserve for free if a title is already on loan to someone else. A reservation counts as part of your 5 loan entitlement
Ebook app - Libro
A free ebook app called 'Libro' is available in both iOS and Android format via the Apple app store and the Google Play store. It operates just like the Poole Libraries ebook website so you will need your membership number and PIN to sign in and browse the site to find a title you would like to borrow.
Download for iOS
Download for Android
Project Gutenberg is a web site with access to 33,000 free ebooks in various formats. These are mostly out of print editions. There are links in the site to other free providers.
Page last updated: 03 April 2018