How to apply

Grants are administered by housing and community services under the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996, following an assessment by adult social services occupational therapy service or children's occupational therapy service.

To ensure that the grant goes to the most needy households, the amount of grant you will get will be decided by a means test which will look at the income and capital of the disabled person and their spouse or partner. Where the disabled person is a child, the grant is not subject to a means test.

To apply for you grant you need to:

  • contact Adult Social Care Contact Centre on 01202 123654 or child health and disability team on 01202 127773 to arrange for one of their occupational therapists (OT) to visit you to assess the needs of the disabled person 
  • the OT will make recommendations for the works required to housing and community services 
  • your OT may provide you with a provisional grant enquiry form and an information pack which explains the grant process. The information you provide in the enquiry form will be used to carry out a means test which will establish whether you have a financial contribution to make towards any grant 
  • if you are eligible for assistance, housing and community services will then arrange for a visit to your property to discuss which of the adaptation works are suitable for grant aid  
  • following the visit, a schedule of eligible works will be produced to enable you to obtain estimates for the works  
  • when you have obtained your estimates they should be submitted to us together with the appropriate Government application form
  • assistance with the above grant application process can be provided by our adaptations officer 


Where a grant application is an owner application and a grant is approved for more than £5,000, a local land charge will be registered against the owner of the dwelling. The owner will be required to repay the part of the grant that exceeds £5,000 (subject to a maximum of £10,000), if the property is sold or transferred within 10 years.

Page last updated: 17 March 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.