House shares and lodging

A room in a shared house offers a cheaper alternative to renting a complete self-contained unit and may give you a chance to save some money towards a deposit for your own place. It also gives you an opportunity meet new people and to get support from others going through a similar experience.

If you are under 35 with no children and will be relying on Housing Benefit to cover your rent payments then you may need to consider renting a room in a shared house rather than renting self-contained accommodation. This is because the Housing Benefit you are entitled to is limited to the shared room rate.

Read further advice on private rented accommodation.

Page last updated: 05 June 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.