Leaving hospital advice

Hospital discharge

If you think you will not have suitable accommodation to return to when you are discharged from hospital you should tell the hospital nursing staff as soon as possible, so that they know that you will be homeless when you are discharged. They will ask the hospital discharge team to help if they can. If you may be homeless within 56 days, you should request a housing needs assessment.

The discharge team may refer you to the housing options service at the council. Someone will need to assess your situation and you may be offered some form of temporary accommodation while your application is considered and enquiries are carried out.

If you work in healthcare and come into contact with someone who is at risk of homeless, you have a duty to refer them.

Your options

Hospital discharge team

Hospital staff work closely with our hospital options advisors and will work together to help plan to find you suitable accommodation.

Home adaptations

If you are going in to hospital for a pre-arranged operation or procedure and know that your current accommodation is unlikely to be suitable for you when you leave, then you can arrange for an occupational therapist to visit and conduct an assessment before you go into hospital.

Sheltered or extra care housing

Sheltered or extra care housing provides support to their residents to help them live independently for longer.

Sheltered housing, extra care schemes and already adapted properties can be accessed through Dorset HomeChoice. If you would benefit from living in one of these schemes, join the Poole housing register.

For a full range of housing options including advice if you have nowhere to stay please consider your housing options.

Other help and support

There are a number of organisations that you can contact for further help.

Age UK Advice Line: Tel 0800 678 1174

Elderly Accommodation Counsel

The Stroke Association: Tel 0303 3033 100. Email: info@stroke.org.uk.

Page last updated: 11 June 2019
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.