Ex armed forces personnel

Homelessness and ex-armed forces personnel

If you're leaving the armed services, or you are a former member, you may be entitled to help if you become homeless. You will have to provide evidence so we can determine what housing assistance you are entitled to.

If you satisfy the relevant legal criteria, we may be required to assist you with emergency or longer-term accommodation.

Your options

Help from Forces Resettlement

Housing advice and support provided in partnership with the Ministry of Defence.

Help finding private rented housing

You might be able to get help with a deposit through our homelessness prevention fund, through Discretionary Housing Payments or via the Royal British Legion.

For further advice on private renting, visit our private rented accommodation page.

Applying as homeless before discharge from the forces

Tell us you will be homeless after discharge from the armed forces so that we can explore your housing options before this happens.

Supported accommodation

We work with a number of providers who provide supported accommodation for vulnerable people as well as ex-armed forces personnel. We may refer you to one of these for assistance.

For a full range of housing options including advice if you have nowhere to stay please see here.

Other help and support

The following organisations offer housing related to support for those who have served in the armed forces.

SSAFA - The Armed Forces Charity

Royal British Legion

CTP (Career Transition Partnership) provides resettlement services for those leaving the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and Marines. Tel: 0203 162 4410

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund the RAFBF provides a range of support including help with day to day living costs. Tel: 0800 1692942

There are a number of agencies who provide a wide variety of support to people with mental illnesses or impairments. They can provide floating support, advocacy services, assist with access to healthcare and supported accommodation. Our staff will be able to give you information about available services. For mental health support please see here and for support with disabilities or sensory impairment please see here.

Page last updated: 01 May 2019
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.