Help paying rent

If you are on a low income you may be able to get help with your housing costs.

You may qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax support, or Universal Credit. If you are unsure whether to claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit then you can check.

If you are on a low income you may be able to get Housing Benefit to help with your rent payments. Online benefit calculators can give you an idea of how much benefit you may be entitled to.

If you are already claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit but this does not cover your full rent, you may be able to get more short term help by applying for Discretionary Housing Payments.

As a tenant you must pay your rent, and this should be your priority above most other expenses. You must consider whether you could reduce other expenses.

This includes:

  • TV
  • high speed internet packages
  • smart phones
  • car
  • socialising/entertainment
  • cigarettes
  • alcohol
  • holidays

If you get evicted for rent arrears and apply for homeless assistance, you may not get help if we find that you did not pay your rent when you could have. This includes if you spent money on non-essential things rather than paying your rent.

For financial help visit our page on money advice, budgeting and managing debt.

Please consider some of the other housing options available.

Page last updated: 01 May 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.