Being evicted or served notice

As a tenant you have legal rights and your landlord must follow the correct steps if they would like to you to leave.

It helps to know why your landlord has asked you to leave as it may be that the issue can be resolved. If you have not kept up with your rent payments, your landlord may allow you to stay if you set up a payment arrangement. It is much better to resolve an issue like this as it may affect your ability to get future accommodation if you have a history of rent arrears.

If you end up requesting homeless assistance from the council, it may limit the duty we owe you if you are homeless as a result of arrears. This means we may not have a duty to rehouse you.

If you are unable to resolve the issues with your landlord you need to look at your housing options right away. Although your landlord has to give you a reasonable notice period and cannot force you to leave without going to court, it can take some time to find alternative accommodation.

If you are going to be homeless, you should request a housing needs assessment.

Page last updated: 01 May 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.