Duty to refer

This referral is only for use by staff of public authorities, as listed below.

If you work in a public authority and come into contact with someone who is homeless, or at risk of homelessness, you should refer them. You must have their permission to make a referral.

You should only make a referral if you work for:

  • a prison service
  • youth offending institution
  • secure training centre
  • secure college
  • probation service (including community rehabilitation schemes)
  • JobCentre Plus
  • social services
  • emergency departments
  • urgent treatment centres
  • hospitals, in their function of in-patient care
  • the armed forces - the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the army and the air force

Make a referral

Please read through the Dorset duty to refer protocol before you start.

We cannot assess referrals without the supporting evidence.

Refer online


Refer by email

Use the duty to refer - NHS clinical evidence form to provide clinical supporting evidence. If you have more background information on the person you are referring, please use the supporting evidence form below.

Use the duty to refer - supporting evidence form to provide more detailed supporting evidence.

You should send the completed form(s) to: pooledutytorefer@bcpcouncil.gov.uk

Page last updated: 20 June 2019
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.