High hedges

A hedge can be cheap to create and last for a long time, providing an ideal garden boundary but the wrong hedge may bring problems.

If you are planting a new hedge, the leaflet 'The right hedge for you'  can help you choose what is best for you and your garden.

Issues with a high hedge

If you’re experiencing problems with someone’s hedge, the best way to deal with the issue is to talk to them about it. You can get guidance on how to resolve differences caused by high hedges from the GOV.UK website.

The leaflet 'Over the garden hedge' issued by the Department for Communities and Local Government also offers guidance to help you agree what is right for you and your neighbour(s).

If you are unable to resolve the issue you can complain to us but before we can do any work you must pay £500 for our service. You'll also need to evidence that you have tried to resolve the issue yourself using the GOV.UK guidance. Evidence can include copies of letters and emails.

The leaflet 'High hedges: complaining to the Council' explains the procedure for making a complaint to us.

Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003, which provides a legal definition of a hedge, grants us powers to deal with your complaint.

Once we receive your complaint along with the evidence you have tried to resolve the issue and the fee of £500 we’ll take measurements and if we determine it is a high hedge we'll take action. This action will require the owner to reduce the hedge to a determined height and we will enforce the work, if necessary.

Page last updated: 02 September 2021
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.