The Food Safety Act 1990 and Regulations make it an offence to sell or process food for sale which is harmful to health. Foods must also be properly described, meet certain compositional requirements and be labelled correctly.
The Borough of Poole promotes the safety and standards of food produced and sold locally by:
- Risk-based inspection of commercial food premises
- Scoring local food businesses under the national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme to provide consumers with an informed choice
- Sampling of foods produced and sold locally
- Checks on compliance with food labelling and compositional standards
- Investigation of complaints about foods, food businesses and suspected food poisoning
- Working with Public Health England to investigate confirmed cases of food poisoning and other infectious diseases
Please visit the Food Standards Agency website for advice on food safety in the home and when purchasing foods and eating out.
Page last updated: 02 May 2019