Student exemptions and discounts

You can get a discount or be exempt if:

  • everyone in the property is a full-time student; you may not have to pay any Council Tax
  • only some people in the property are full-time students; you'll have to pay Council Tax but you might get a discount

If you live in student halls provided by your university or college, you do not need to apply.


To apply for an exemption or discount, please complete our form.

You will need:

  • Your Council Tax account number


If you need help applying, please call us on 0345 034 4569 and we can support you through the process.

Page last updated: 24 March 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.