Single person discount

You can apply for a 25% discount if: 

  • you're the only person over 18 in your home [1]
  • you have already registered with us to pay Council Tax in Poole 


To apply for a single person discount, please complete our form.

You will need:

  • your Council Tax account number


If you need help applying, please call us on 0345 034 4569 and we can support you through the process. 

Back dated claims

It is the responsibility of the Council Tax payer to apply when they become entitled to a discount or exemption. This enables the claim to be verified by way of an inspection, if necessary. Because it is almost impossible to verify backdated claims, and as you would have received information each year relating to discounts and exemptions, we will not normally consider any backdating of a discount for more than three months. Unless you are able therefore to provide a very good reason for failing to apply at the right time and provide documentary evidence to support your claim it may not be backdated.

The types of reasons where we would consider awarding a backdated discount are: 

  • bereavement in immediate family
  • serious accident or illness of Council Tax payer or immediate family
  • marital split 

This list is not intended to be exhaustive and other valid reasons will be considered.

If you wish to make a substantially backdated claim, the claim should be accompanied by a written explanation of why you failed to apply in a timely manner and any documentary evidence you may have to support your claim.

It is difficult to provide documentary or other evidence that you live alone, but the sort of evidence that might be acceptable would be copies of claims for various State Benefits which involve declaring the household status.

Temporary absences of a person because of working away from home or taking extended holidays are not usually sufficient to give rise to a Single Person Discount claim.

In the case of partners, the legal presumption is that even in the case of very long absences because of work, the ‘marital home’ remains the residence for Council Tax purposes. Adult children taking extended holidays are also generally considered to have their main residence at the family home unless their absence is permanent, i.e. years rather than months.

Discounts and exemptions are periodically reviewed to confirm that the person receiving it remains entitled. If you do receive a review please ensure you respond as failure to do so may lead to the discount being cancelled and the application of a penalty. 

[1] Discount may only be applied at a property that is the sole, or main, residence of one person. If you have only one address, that is your sole residence. If you have more than one address, please do not complete this form. Contact the Council so that we may determine your main residence for Council Tax purposes and decide if discount may be applied. 

Page last updated: 24 March 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.