Discounts for people who are not counted for Council Tax

Who is eligible and how to apply 

The Council Tax charge is based on the number of people living in a property. If you're 'disregarded' it means that we do not count you when we work out the number of people living there. 

If you live with someone who is not counted, it may mean that you can get a discount on your bill. 

Who is not counted 

These people are not counted for Council Tax:

  • full-time students, school and college leavers aged 18 and 19
  • student nurses, apprentices, youth training trainees
  • non-British people who are not allowed to work or claim benefits and are dependants of students
  • people detained in a prison or hospital 
  • people who have a severe mental impairment
  • care workers
  • residents of other properties (hostels for the homeless, residential or care homes)
  • members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • members and dependants of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependants
  • members and dependants of visiting forces
  • diplomats
  • foreign language assistants
  • people who have their main address as a hospital

The definitions above are shortened versions. The actual definitions are contained within the Council Tax (Discount Disregards) Order 1992 as amended.


To apply for an exemption, please complete our form.

You will need:

  • Your Council Tax account number


If you need help applying, please call us on  0345 034 4569 and we can support you through the process. 

Page last updated: 24 March 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.