Problems paying your Council Tax

4. What we might do after a court hearing

If a liability order is issued and you still don’t pay, we could:

  • ask your employer to pay your unpaid council tax directly from your wages or take the money from your benefits
  • ask an enforcement agent (bailiff) to collect what you owe, which could mean your possessions are removed and sold at auction, the cost of which will be added to the total amount you owe
  • apply for a charging order against a property you own (if you owe more than £1000) and the amount you owe will be paid when the property is sold
  • take action to make an individual bankrupt
  • apply to the court to send you to prison for up to 3 months, although we'll only take this step if all other efforts have failed or aren't applicable
Page last updated: 13 May 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.