Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have suspended new driver applications and medicals, current licences will be extended by 6 months.
See further information about changes to services.
All private hire vehicles must be licensed unless exempt by legislation.
The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 defines a private hire vehicle as:
"any motor vehicle adapted to carry less than nine passengers and which is provided for hire with the services of a driver to carry passengers, but which is not already licensed as a Hackney Carriage (taxi) or as a public service vehicle (bus or coach)".
The only exemption from this legislation is where the transport is provided solely in connection with a wedding or a funeral (section 75).
If you have any questions please contact us on 01202 262202.
- be less than 5 years old at the date of first licensing
- possess a valid road fund licence
- be clean and tidy, inside and out
- carry a fire extinguisher which is within the manufacturers' recommended replacement date and in a clean and usable condition
- carry a first aid kit with a full set of contents, preferably kept within a waterproof or sealed bag
- carry a spare wheel and the tools to change it or a tyre reinflation kit if the vehicle is constructed without the provision to carry a spare wheel
- have fully operational windows
- have seatbelts in good condition and working order
- roof lights, if fitted, must be working and attached directly to the gutter or roof-rack retaining bolts, lights attached to roof bars or their brackets will not be allowed
- a taximeter, if fitted, will be tested
How to apply
To apply for this licence:
We are unable to accept this form by email because it must have a signature. Please print the form, sign it and return it to:
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
Applicants must supply:
- insurance certificate which provides for private hire and reward
- V5 vehicle registration document
- MOT certificate if vehicle is over 1 year old
If you need assistance to complete the application forms, please contact us and we will be happy to help you.
- undergo a visual inspection by our taxi licensing officer
- if over 1 year old, must have a valid MOT certificate
The licence fee is £153 per year.
Page last updated: 16 April 2020