Minor variation

A minor variation makes it possible to make small changes to your premises licence or club premises certificate without completing an application to vary the premises licence.

What is a minor variation

To determine whether a proposed variation is 'minor' depends on whether it could impact adversely on any of the four licensing objectives.

A minor variation can be applied for changes such as:

  • small changes to the structure or layout of a premises
  • the addition of authorisation for late night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as live music, performance of plays or film exhibitions)
  • small changes to licensing hours (but see below on changes that relate to alcohol)
  • revisions, removals and additions of conditions (this could include the removal or amendment of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions, or the addition of volunteered conditions)

A minor variation cannot be used to:

  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am
  • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied
  • extend the period for which the licence or certificate has effect
  • transfer the licence or certificate from one premises to another, or vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  • specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor
  • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate
  • disapply the mandatory conditions relating to a designated premises supervisor

How to apply

To apply for a minor variation you must download and complete the form and enclose your premises licence and summary when sending it to the licensing department. You are not required to send a copy of the application to the responsible authorities.

The application does not need to be advertised in a newspaper or circular. The next working day after the application has been given to the licensing authority, a notice on white paper must be prominently displayed at the premises for the period of 10 working days.

The fee for a minor variation is £89.

What happens next

Interested parties and responsible authorities have the opportunity to make a relevant representation within the 10 working days. If, within the 10 working days, there are no relevant representations made, your amended Premises Licence and Summary will be sent to the correspondent requested on your application.

If a relevant representation is made, the licensing authority will take them into account when arriving to a decision. (Representations are only relevant if they relate to the likely effect of the grant of the variation on the promotion of at least one of the licensing objectives.) There is no right to a hearing.

Page last updated: 08 February 2019
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.