Premises licence

This licence allows premises to be used for one or more licensable activities, as follows:

  • sale or supply of alcohol
  • performance of live music
  • a performance of dance
  • the performance of a play
  • any playing of recorded music
  • an exhibition of film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • sale of hot food or drinks between 11pm and 5am for consumption on or off the premises
  • any licensable activity taking place on private or public land will require a licence and this includes the sale of alcohol on pleasure boats

Definition of a premises

Premises are defined as any place, inside or outside, and a vehicle or vessel of moveable structure.

Note: If the premises is not yet built or is undergoing major alterations you have the option of applying for a provisional statement first. 

Designated premises supervisor

A designated premises supervisor must hold a personal licence and is the person specified on the premises licence who is responsible for authorising the sale or supply of alcohol. This person must be readily identifiable and will normally be given day to day responsibility for running the premises. 

Operating schedule

An operating schedule is required as part of a premises licence or club premises certificate application. Whilst the precise detail of each will be slightly different depending on the licensable activities i.e. the retail sale of alcohol, supply of alcohol by a club, provision of regulated entertainment, or the provision of late night refreshment, the key details on the operating schedule will be:

  • when and which of the licensable activities are planned to take place at the premises
  • the opening and closing times of the premises
  • the steps the licence holder will take to promote the licensing objectives

Responsible authorities

You need to send copies of your application to all the responsible authorities.

Note: For all copies sent to Environmental and Consumer Protection Services please clearly mark each envelope with LA2003.

How to apply

If you'd like to make an annual payment for a premises licence, please visit GOV.UK.

If you require further information about the Licensing Act 2003, you can contact us by e-mail ( or call us on 01202 261700 and ask to speak to a licensing officer. Alternatively, information is available on the Department for Culture Media and Sport website.

Page last updated: 21 November 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.