Gambling premises licence

A premises licence, issued under the Gambling act 2005, is required for any premises where an individual or company proposes to offer premises based gambling and are issued in respect of  specific premises.

Premises licences are required for:

  • casinos
  • bingo premises
  • adult gaming centre premises licences (enabling category C gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)
  • betting premises (enabling the provision of facilities for betting, by making or accepting bets or by acting as a betting intermediary)
  • family entertainment centre (enabling category C gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)

An application for a premises licence may be made by a person (which includes companies or partnerships):

  • who have the right to occupy the premises
  • who have an operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission, which allows him/her to carry out the proposed activity
  • a premises licence can only authorise the use of the premises for one of the above types of activities, except in the case of a track
  • an applicant for a premises licence must be over 18 years of age

How to apply

To apply for this licence:

To apply to vary a premises licence:

A fee is payable for the licence.

Page last updated: 21 November 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.