Your business rates questions answered

What NDR covers

All the money collected by us is paid direct to Central Government. Some of it comes back to us by means of a grant, which gets added to the Council Tax collected and goes towards local amenities and services.

What you should do if you cannot afford to pay

If you are finding it difficult to pay your bill when it is due, please contact us on 01202 123331 to discuss this further.

Payment options

The payment options are shown on the front of your bill. More information on your payment options can be found on the pay your business rates page.

How to appeal against the rateable value of your property

To appeal, you can contact the Valuation Office Agency or phone 03000 501501. You must continue to pay your existing Business Rates bill based on the current rateable value even if you are appealing against the valuation.

If you need a copy of your bill from last year

This depends on whether there have been any adjustments throughout the year and if so, which bill is required. Please call us on 01202 123331 to investigate further.

Transparency/freedom of information requests

In the downloads section of this page, there are 4 spreadsheets which can be viewed/downloaded in a searchable format. These cover the various reliefs that businesses are currently claiming along with any credit balances that we have written off.

The spreadsheets will be updated quarterly. For any FOI requests outside of this information, please submit these through the guide to information we publish.

Getting a property taken out of the rating list

If your property is not capable of beneficial occupation, for instance, if it is in poor condition and cannot be economically repaired - your valuation officer may judge that it should be taken out of the rating list altogether. However, please be aware that if the state of your property is damaged for the purposes of avoiding rates, under new anti-avoidance legislation introduced by the government, the Valuation Office will be required to disregard the change in the property's state when assessing its rateable value. So for instance, if the roof is removed from an empty property for the purpose of avoiding rates, it may be valued as if the roof had not been removed.

How your rates liability will change if a property is only partly occupied

If a property is only partly occupied, the billing authority has discretion to request that the valuation officer apportions the property's rateable value between its occupied and unoccupied parts.

Broadly speaking, the empty property rate applies to the empty part of an apportioned building and the occupied business rate applies to the occupied part.

Appealing against the change in your rates liability

The changes in rates liability arising from the reforms to empty property relief are not in themselves grounds for appeal. However, if you disagree with the rateable value that appears in the current rating list entry for your property, under the existing arrangements you may challenge it by making a `proposal' against it to your local valuation office. Your rights of appeal are not affected by the reforms to empty property relief and you can contact this authority (details are on the right hand side of this page) or the local Valuation Office for further information about the arrangements for making proposals.

Page last updated: 05 July 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.