Following the BCP Bereavement Liaison Group meeting held on 15th October, we have provided a document which details the changes to cremation services at Poole Crematorium.
Borough of Poole has one Crematorium. The council is a member of the Federation of British Cremation Authorities and operates strictly in accordance with the Code of Practice.
Set on the edge of heathland, Poole Crematorium has a tranquil and natural atmosphere. The Crematorium grounds are peaceful and in the conservatory you can view the Books of Remembrance which are open 7 days a week.
You can view scheduled services at Poole Crematorium.
Christmas and New Year
Chapel and admin office:
- Tuesday 24 December – 9am to 5pm
- Wednesday 25 December – Closed
- Thursday 26 December – Closed
- Friday 27 December – 9am to 5pm
- Monday 30 December – 9am to 5pm
- Tuesday 31 December – 9am to 5pm
- Wednesday 1 January – Closed
- Thursday 2 January – 9am to 5pm
The Book of Remembrance Room, Floral Tribute Room, Wreath Court and Memorial Grounds will be open throughout the festive period between 9am and 5pm each day, Monday to Sunday (including bank holidays).
Please note that the main vehicle gates to the crematorium will be locked at 5pm each day and reopened at 9am the following morning. Pedestrian access to the grounds will be unrestricted.
The Crematorium grounds and Floral Tribute Room are open to members of the public at the following times:
- 1 September to 30 April: 9am to 5pm (Monday-Sunday including bank and public holidays)
Please note that gates will be locked at 5pm.
- 1 May to 31 August: 9am to 8pm (Monday-Sunday including bank and public holidays)
Please note that gates will be locked at 8pm.
The Book of Remembrance will be on display in the Floral Tribute Room for members of the public to view at the following times:
- 1 January to 31 December: 9am to 5pm (Monday to Sunday including bank and public holidays)
The Crematorium and the administration office is open:
- Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm and 9am to 4.30pm on Friday.
The Crematorium and administration office will not be open on public or bank holidays.
Directions for cremation
Before a cremation can take place, you must complete and return the Directions for Cremation form. This form allows you to provide details of the type of service you would like. Please call us on 01202 265235 for more details.
Authority to cremate
We will arrange for a Medical Referee to inspect all the documentation and give consent that a cremation can take place. The consent is incorporated on the reverse of the medical certificates.
There are many options available to you:
- cremation interment plots are available in Poole's cemeteries where a formal headstone can be erected. The plots can hold up to 4 caskets of cremated remains
- sanctums are available at Poole Crematorium and hold 2 caskets of cremated remains
- scattering of ashes at Poole Crematorium in the Woodland Glades or the more formal interment lawn
- scattering of ashes in a place chosen by the family. You do not need to seek consent for scattering of ashes in open spaces, we simply ask that you are discreet
You can find information in this guidance on infant cremations document.
Page last updated: 29 November 2019