Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have closed our cemeteries to the public and introduced a temporary reduction to cremation and burial fees.
See further information about changes to services.
Poole has one crematorium. The council is a member of the Federation of British Cremation Authorities and operates strictly in accordance with the Code of Practice.
Set on the edge of heathland, Poole Crematorium has a tranquil and natural atmosphere. The Crematorium grounds are peaceful and in the conservatory you can view the Books of Remembrance which are open 7 days a week.
You can view scheduled services at Poole Crematorium.
The Crematorium grounds and Floral Tribute Room are open to members of the public at the following times:
- 1 September to 30 April: 9am to 5pm (Monday-Sunday including bank and public holidays)
Please note that gates will be locked at 5pm.
- 1 May to 31 August: 9am to 8pm (Monday-Sunday including bank and public holidays)
Please note that gates will be locked at 8pm.
The Book of Remembrance will be on display in the Floral Tribute Room for members of the public to view at the following times:
- 1 January to 31 December: 9am to 5pm (Monday to Sunday including bank and public holidays)
The Crematorium and the administration office is open:
- Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm and 9am to 4.30pm on Friday.
The Crematorium and administration office will not be open on public or bank holidays.
Directions for cremation
There is paperwork that needs to be completed before a cremation can take place. Your Funeral Director will handle all the paperwork needed and liaise with us directly.
Authority to cremate
We will arrange for a Medical Referee to inspect all the documentation and give consent that a cremation can take place. The consent is incorporated on the reverse of the medical certificates.
There are many options available to you:
- cremation interment plots are available in Poole's cemeteries where a formal headstone can be erected. The plots can hold up to 4 caskets of cremated remains
- sanctums are available at Poole Crematorium and hold 2 caskets of cremated remains
- scattering of ashes at Poole Crematorium in the Woodland Glades or the more formal interment lawn.
You can find information in this guidance on infant cremations document.
Page last updated: 21 July 2021