Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

- How do I repay my overpayment?

- What happens if the overpayment is not repaid?

What happens if the overpayment is not repaid?

After 21 days we will send a reminder. If the balance is unpaid and no arrangement is in place, the overpayment could be collected through:

Direct Earnings Attachment (DEAs)

If you are working (and not self-employed) we can request direct deductions from your pay. We may therefore contact your employer to make deductions. If we take this action, you will be notified in writing before any money is taken. More information is in the Direct Earnings Attachment - A Guide for Employers.

Deductions from your state benefit

We can take deductions from your state benefit, such as:

  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Retirement Pension
  • Income Support
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  • Widow(er)s Benefit
  • Bereavement Benefit
  • State Pension Credit
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Disability Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Personal Independance Payments (PIP)

Recovery from other councils

If you have moved away and have made a new Housing Benefit claim in that area we can ask the new council to recover the overpayment from your ongoing benefit.

Recovery from your landlord

If we paid your landlord your benefit, in certain circumstances we may ask the landlord to repay the overpayment.

County Court

If your debt still remains unpaid then we will apply for an Order for Enforcement of Award. This will incur further costs which you will be liable to pay.

Further actions available to the council are:

  • Order to obtain information (attend court to explain in detail your financial circumstances)
  • A warrant of execution (carried out by a court appointed Bailiff)
  • A third party debt order (allowing us to freeze all of your bank accounts)
  • A charging order
  • A statutory demand/bankruptcy order
  • Writ of Fieri Facias (carried out by a High Court Enforcement Officer to repossess your goods)
Page last updated: 17 April 2020
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.