Universal Credit

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.


You do not need to do anything if you are already claiming benefits, as you will be told when Universal Credit will affect you.

If you or your partner are of working age and not entitled to Severe Disability Premium (SDP), not already claiming and need help with your rent, you will need to claim Universal Credit.

If you are not sure, you can check if you are eligible on the Universal Credit information site.

You cannot apply for the housing element (help with your rent) of Universal Credit if you have been placed by the Local Authority Housing Section into temporary accommodation or if you live in accommodation where you receive care and support from your landlord. In these cases, as well as claiming Universal Credit for your income, you will need to claim Housing Benefit if you want to claim for help with your rent.

Page last updated: 17 April 2020
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.