Disability benefits

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs)

PIP helps towards some of the extra costs arising from a long term ill-health condition or disability and is based on how a person’s condition affects them, not the condition they have. It is not means-tested or subject to tax and it is payable to people who are both in and out of work.

A programme to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for eligible people aged 16 to 64 with Personal Independence Payment (PIP) started on 8 April 2013.

You can visit the GOV.UK websiteto see how it will affect you, or call the PIP Information Line on 0800 917 2222(textphone 0800 917 7777) from Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

You can only make a new DLA claim if you're under 16. You can find out if you're eligible to claim DSA on the GOV.UK website.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you're ill or disabled, ESA offers financial support if you're unable to work and/or personalised help so that you can work if you're able to.

You can apply for ESA if you're employed, self employed or unemployed.

You might be transferred to ESA if you've been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit. You can find out if you're eligible to claim ESA on the GOV.UK website.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is awarded to applicants who are aged 65 or over when they apply, who need supervision and/or help with personal care because of their illness or disability.

Help must have been needed for at least 6 months, but there is no qualifying period for a person who is terminally ill.

There are 2 benefit rates:

  • higher rate for care/supervision needs both day and night
  • lower rate for care/supervision needs during the day or night

You can find more information on Attendance Allowance on the GOV.UK website.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is for people aged 16 and over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person getting Attendance Allowance (either rate) or Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or upper rate.

Further information on Carer's Allowance is available from GOV.UK.

Page last updated: 17 April 2020
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.