Council Tax Support

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

How Council Tax Support is calculated

The Council Tax Support means test compares how much money people have coming in to an amount (known as the applicable amount) which reflects the basic living needs of a household and varies depending on age and individual circumstances. 

To decide how much Council Tax Support you are entitled to we will use the following information:

The money you and your partner have coming in including:

  • earnings
  • some benefits
  • Universal Credit awards
  • tax credits
  • pensions

Your savings (and your partner's savings) this includes:

  • money you have in your bank or Building Society accounts
  • assets (such as property or land)
  • stocks, shares and premium bonds

Your circumstances such as:

  • your age
  • the number of people in your household and their ages
  • if you or any of your family are disabled

Non Dependants

A Non Dependant is someone aged 18 or over who lives with you but is not a tenant or a lodger. For example, a grown up son or daughter who lives at home.

In most cases we will make a deduction from your Council Tax Support because we expect that your Non Dependant will help towards housing costs, whether they do or not. The amount we take will be decided based on their gross income. 

More information can be found in the Non Dependant Deductions leaflet.

How much will I get?

You may get help with all or part of your Council Tax. There’s no set amount of Council Tax Support and what you get will depend on your age and circumstances.

How much you get depends on:

  • your age
  • your 'eligible' weekly Council Tax
  • the people in your household and their ages
  • your household income - including benefits, pensions and savings (over £6,000)
  • your circumstances, for example the age of people in the house or if someone has a disability

Weekly eligible Council Tax

Council Tax is a daily charge, the eligible Council Tax charge we use to calculate your Council Tax Support is:

the annual Council Tax charge (after any discounts or exemptions) divided by 365 days (366 in a leap year) and multiplied by 7.

Most people who are working age that make a claim for Council Tax Support will have to pay a minimum contribution towards their Council Tax. You can find out more detailed information from the Council Tax Support policy for Poole.

The full Council Tax charge (100%) will be used to work out a persons Council Tax Support if you are:

  • pension age
  • receive War Disablement Pension, War Widows Pension or War Widows Disablement Pension
  • receive a Disability Premium, Enhanced Disability Premium, Severe Disability Premium, Disabled Child Premium, Carer Premium, or Support Component within their Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit recipients, who are not pensioners, where the applicant or partner is in receipt of an income or premium listed above, or the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA Element) within UC.
Page last updated: 01 March 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.