Council Tax Support

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

Council Tax Support eligibility

You may get Council Tax Support if:

  • you pay Council Tax
  • you're on a low income or claiming benefits
  • your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

If you make a claim for or already receive Universal Credit, this will not include Council Tax Support so you will need to make a claim for Council Tax Support with us to help pay your Council Tax.

You can apply if you're employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, you will need to make a claim together.

Who is not eligible

Usually you will not get Council Tax Support if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit
  • you do not have to pay Council Tax or are exempt from paying it
  • you're residing in the UK as a European Economic Area jobseeker
  • you're subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you cannot claim public funds
Page last updated: 17 April 2020
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.