Supported accommodation for adults experiencing mental ill health privacy notice

This page explains how your information will be held about you and processed by Housing & Community Services and sets out the relationship between Housing and Community Services and Bournemouth Churches Housing Association (BCHA) in regards to your personal data. You can also find out about the General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018 and your rights.

This page contains information about:

  • who we are
  • why we collect your personal information
  • the legal basis for using your information
  • who we may share your information with
  • how you can access the information we hold about you
  • how long we keep information about you
  • further information and Data Protection Officer

Who we are

Housing & Community Services commission and fund the High Support Accommodation Service and Transitional Accommodation Service which are delivered by BCHA.  As the Commissioner of these services Housing and Community Services will act as the Data Controller for performance monitoring and contract compliance purposes.

BCHA are contracted to deliver the above services on the Council’s behalf. To deliver these services in accordance with contractual requirements BCHA exercise the function of both Data Controller and Data Processor for the personal information you provide. 

Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This could be your name and contact details. As joint Data Controllers, the Council and BCHA will use your information to provide and deliver housing related support services to you.

Why the Council collects your personal information

The Council may need to use some information about you to:

  • Ensure services provided on behalf of the Borough of Poole are of a good standard
  • Ensure services provided on behalf of Borough of Poole are provided in line with contractual requirements
  • Help investigate any worries or complaints about the services
  • Understand and project the need and demand for services 
  • Commission new services or alter current service provision to ensure it continues to meet service user’s need

Why BCHA collects personal information

BCHA may need to use some information about you to:

  • Deliver services as set out in the service specification
  • Provide you with support and advice
  • Create and develop support plans and review your progress
  • Effectively manage and mitigate risk
  • Ensure you access and receive support from other agencies
  • Deliver health and social care 
  • Provide you with training and group activities 
  • Repair, maintain and improve housing stock and communal areas
  • Collect rent and arrears 

The Council and BCHA are not permitted to collect information we do not need or will not use. This document covers information you have provided directly to BCHA which is shared with Housing & Community Services and information which has been shared with us by other organisations.

If the Council doesn’t need your personal information we will either keep your details anonymous, if we already have it for another service or we won’t ask you for it. If we use your personal information for research or analysis, we will always keep your details anonymous or use a fake name.

We don’t sell your personal information to anyone else.

The legal basis for the Council using your information

According to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, the Council must have a reason to collect and use your information. 

This will be:

  • To enable us to manage the services provided
  • To investigate any worries or complaints you may have about our services
  • To check the quality of our services
  • To train and manage the workers who deliver those services
  • To help with research and planning of new services.
  • Ensure that public money is spent wisely and efficiently
There are a number of legal reasons why the Council and BCHA need to collect and use your personal information. For this service the following apply:

(i)Contract: you have entered into a contract with us. (Provision of Accommodation with Support)

(ii)Vital interests: The processing may be necessary to protect someone’s life or protect them from significant harm;

(iii)Legal obligation: it is required by law – Housing Acts, Local Government Act 1972, Crime & Disorder Act 1998, Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime & Policing Act 2014; Housing Act 1998, Homeless Reduction Act 2017

(iv)Public task: The processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.

The Council and BCHA need to use sensitive personal data also called “special category data” which requires more protection to keep it safe. This is often information you would not want to be widely known and is very personal to you. It includes:

  • Sexual orientation
  • Religious or spiritual or philosophical beliefs  
  • Ethnicity and nationality
  • Marital status
  • Family circumstances
  • Gender 
  • Physical or learning disability
  • Physical or Mental health 
  • Medical Conditions
  • Criminal history 
  • Employment history, qualifications, experience and working knowledge

Both the Council and BCHA will take extra care of the data they control and process. The legal reason for us to collect and use this personal information is:

(a) you have entered into a contract with us (Provision of Accommodation with Support)

(b) it is necessary to deliver health or social care services 

Who we may share your information with

The Council and BCHA use a range of organisations to either store personal information or to help deliver our services to you. Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide your personal information to other organisations, for example the court service or HMRC.

  • Dorset Police;
  • National Probation Service;
  • Dorset Combined Youth Offending Service;
  • Department for Work and Pensions;
  • Immigration Compliance and Enforcement;
  • Dorset Health Care University NHS Foundation Trust;
  • Dorset, Devon & Cornwall Community Rehabilitation Company;
  • Dorset Advocacy
  • Victim Support;
  • Victim’s Bureau;
  • Dorset Race Equality Council
  • Bournemouth Borough Council;
  • Christchurch Borough Council,

Other council services;

  • Financial Services,
  • Housing & Community Services,
  • Social Services
  • Adult Social Care,
  • Children & Young People’s Social Care,
  • Children, Young People & Learning;
  • Commissioning & Improvement;
  • Audit and Management Assurance.

We may also ask these organisations for information.

Your information will not be disclosed to any other organisations, except where we are required and allowed to by law.  

We may seek your consent if we are able to offer additional services which we believe are of benefit to you. This will be clearly communicated to you. We will only share your details with these organisations if we have your consent. We will not share your information otherwise.

Accessing the information we hold about you

You have the right to request, in writing, details of the information that is held about you and also the right to access a copy of the information. This may be by the Council providing copies of documents or by inviting you to view the records at one of its offices, if appropriate. Please see our webpage for further information about how to make a subject access request. 

The Council will not charge a fee to access your information. Sometimes there may be information that we are not allowed to show you, such as

  • legal information or advice
  • crime prevention and detection records
  • information that we believe may be harmful to you and your well-being
  • details about or provided by other people – this is called third party information (e.g. information from the Police or Department for Work & Pensions)

You may ask us to

  • stop processing your information if this causes or might cause damage or distress
  • stop processing your information for direct marketing
  • make decisions about you using your information by automated means (e.g. using computers to decide on an entitlement)
  • amend any of your data which you feel is inaccurate. You can also ask for information to be blocked, erased or destroyed
  • transfer your information electronically to another service provider
  • consider a claim for compensation for any damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations

If you give consent for us to use your information, you may withdraw this at any time. However, this may affect our ability to continue to provide you with a service.

How long we keep information about you

We will retain this information for 6 years from the end date of the contract as stated in our retention schedule and in accordance with the Data protection Act.

Further information

If you have a concern about how we are using your information, we would ask you to contact us in the first instance using the address below: 

Performance & Quality Team
Housing and Community Services 
Borough of Poole 
Civic Centre 
BH15 2RU

Data Protection Officer

If you are not satisfied with a response to your concerns from the Service, our Data Protection Officer Vivian Bateman, can review any issues regarding Information Rights legislation if necessary. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at the following address:

Data Protection Officer
Bournemouth & Poole Information Governance Team
Bournemouth Borough Council
Town Hall

Information Commissioner

For further information about Information Rights legislation, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at or by telephone 0303 123 1113.

Page last updated: 09 January 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.