Commissioning and improvement - people services troubled families programme privacy notice

Borough of Poole and its partners have committed to the Government to deliver the national Troubled Families programme in Poole. In order to fulfil our obligations it is necessary to share information with critical partners. This is important both for the delivery of the programme and evaluating its effectiveness.

This document explains how your information will be held about you and processed by the Troubled Families service. You can also find out about the General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018 and your rights.

This document contains information about:

  • who we are
  • why we collect your personal information
  • the legal basis for using your information
  • who we may share your information with
  • how you can access the information we hold about you
  • how long we keep information about you
  • further information and Data Protection Officer

Who we are

Borough of Poole will be the Data Controller for the personal information you provide. Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This could be your name and contact details. As the Data Controller, Borough of Poole will use your information to provide you with our services.

Why we collect your personal information

We will collect enough personal information in order to provide you with services for the following purposes:

  • to identify which families need support
  • to understand and meet the needs of families
  • to understand the difference we are making 

This might include information in relation to your social care, educational attendance and behaviour, involvement with the police, aspects relating to your employment, anti-social behaviour, violence in the home, substance misuse, vulnerable children and health.

A small amount of personal information, for every individual assessed for the programme, is used in order to conduct a National Impact Study (NIS):

  • personal identifiers of individuals in all families assessed for eligibility (e.g. name, date of birth, gender and postcode)
  • eligibility problems met (as per the financial framework)
  • status of intervention (e.g. whether eligible, start/end date of intervention)
  • available unique identifiers (e.g. National Insurance number, Unique Pupil Number) 

In addition, Family Progress Data (FPD) is collected every six months for all individuals in families who are being supported by the programme, where there are no nationally available administrative datasets. This includes:

  • tenure
  • evictions
  • homelessness
  • arrears
  • level of support from the Local Authority 

We are not permitted to collect information we do not need or will not use. This document covers information you have provided direct to the Council and information which has been shared with us by other organisations.

If we don’t need your personal information we will either keep your details anonymous or, if we already have it for another service, we won’t ask you for it. If we use your personal information for research or analysis, we will always keep your details anonymous or use a fictitious name.

We don’t sell your personal information to anyone else.

The legal basis for using your information

According to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, we must have a reason to collect and use your information.

This will be:

  • to deliver services and support you
  • to enable us to manage the services we provide
  • to train and manage our workers who deliver those services
  • to investigate any worries or complaints you may have about our goods or services
  • to check the quality of our goods and services
  • to help with research and planning of new services

There are a number of legal reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. For this service:

  • Care Act 2014
  • Childcare Act 2006
  • Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000
  • Crime and Disorder Act 1998
  • Criminal Justice Act 2003
  • Education Act 2002
  • Localism Act 2011
  • The Children Act 1989
  • The Children Act 2004
  • Welfare Reform Act 2012

Our service also needs to use sensitive personal data called “special category data” which requires more protection to keep it safe. This is often information you would not want to be widely known and is very personal to you. It includes:

  • ethnicity
  • physical or mental health
  • criminal history 

We will take extra care of this data. The legal reason for us to collect and use this personal information is:

  • it is necessary to perform our statutory duties
  • it is necessary to deliver health or social care services 

Who we may share your information with

We use a range of organisations to either store personal information or to help deliver our services to you. Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide your personal information to other organisations, for example the court service or HMRC.

We may also share your personal information with these organisations:

  • NHS
  • health
  • Department of Work and Pensions
  • police
  • schools
  • youth offending team

Your information will not be disclosed to any other organisations, except where we are required and allowed to by law.

Accessing the information we hold about you

You have the right to request, in writing, details of the information that is held about you and also the right to access a copy of the information. This may be by the Council providing copies of documents or by inviting you to view the records at one of its offices, if appropriate. Please see our webpage for further information about how to make a subject access request.

Neither Bournemouth Borough Council nor Borough of Poole will charge a fee to access your information. Sometimes there may be information that we are not allowed to show you, such as:

  • legal information or advice
  • crime prevention and detection records
  • information that we believe may be harmful to you and your well-being
  • details about or provided by other people – this is called third party information (e.g. information from the Police or Department for Work & Pensions)

You may also ask us to:

  • stop processing your information if this causes or might cause damage or distress
  • stop processing your information for direct marketing
  • make decisions about you using your information by automated means (e.g. using computers to decide on an entitlement)
  • amend any of your data which you feel is inaccurate. You can also ask for information to be blocked, erased or destroyed
  • transfer your information electronically to another service provider
  • consider a claim for compensation for any damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations

If you give consent for us to use your information, you may withdraw this at any time. However, this may affect our ability to continue to provide you with a service.

How long we keep information about you

We will retain this information for the duration of the programme, which ends in 2020, and no longer than 10 years as stated in our retention schedule and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations.

Further information

If you have a concern about how we are using your information, we would ask you to contact us in the first instance using the address below:

Troubled Families
Commissioning and Improvement – People Services
Borough of Poole
Civic Centre Annexe
BH15 2RT

Data Protection Officer

If you are not satisfied with a response to your concerns from the Service, our Data Protection Officer Vivian Bateman, can review any issues regarding Information Rights legislation if necessary. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at the address below:

Data Protection Officer
Bournemouth & Poole Information Governance Team
Bournemouth Borough Council
Town Hall

Information Commissioner

For further information about Information Rights legislation, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at or by telephone 0303 123 1113.

Page last updated: 09 January 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.