[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Data Protection Act

The Data Protection Act:

  • regulates how we manage personal information related to living individuals

  • applies to computer and manual records

  • lays down principles for the way in which we process personal information

  • gives you rights to access the information we hold about you, or someone you represent, and to have inaccurate data corrected or erased. 

How we manage personal information

We collect, record, hold and process personal information to deliver appropriate services.

We are required by law to protect the public funds we administer. To prevent and detect fraud, we may share personal information:

  • internally

  • with other government agencies, and/or

  • with bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds

We may also share personal information

  • with appropriate staff involved in meeting your needs
  • with agencies such as health, contracted agencies and other local authorities
  • where there is a concern that a child or adult is at risk of harm
  • where we have information that a serious crime is planned or has been committed
  • where we have been told to by a court

 In Adult Social Care we also apply the Caldicott Principles to ensure:

  • your personal information will always be treated in a confidential manner, with care and discretion
  • staff are made aware of the importance of treating sensitive and personal information with care
  • information is only shared to assist in planning and providing the best possible service                                                                                                                                                                                             Back to top  

Data Protection principles

We process personal information about you in a way which is:

  • fair and lawful

  • only for specified and lawful purposes

  • adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which it is processed

  • accurate and where necessary, we keep it up to date

  • not kept longer than is necessary

  • processed in accordance with your rights under the Act

  • secure

  • not transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of data protection.

You can read more about the principles in our Data Protection policy and the Information Commissioner's Office website.

Further information is available from:                                                                  Communications Information & Marketing, Legal Democratic and Strategy Services, Civic Centre, Poole. BH15 2RU                                                        Email: information@poole.gov.uk        

Caldicott Principles

The Caldicott Principles are based on the Data Protection Act 1998 and we must :

Further information is available from:                                                         The Information Management Officer, Commissioning and Improvement - People Services, Civic Centre, Poole BH15 2RU Email: commimpenq@poole.gov.uk

Back to top

Accessing your personal information (Subject Access Request)

You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you. This is known as a subject access request.

To make a subject access request you must write to us:

To help us deal with your subject access request, please tell us:

  • the type of information you want; for example, emails, letters, records about services you receive, etc
  • the section or department of the council that holds your information, if you know it
  • any relevant dates

You may use the Subject Access Request form which is available in the downloads section of this page if this helps you

We may ask you to produce proof of ID.

A £10 fee is payable. If the information you want is about health or education records, the fee can be up to £50.

Once we have this information we have 40 calendar days in which to respond to your request.

The Data Protection Act has some exemptions which means we may not, in some circumstances be able to provide information. An example of this might include employment references or details of a complaint. If you make a subject access request and we consider that information is exempt we will explain why. 

Back to top

Accessing personal information about someone you represent

If you are acting on someone's behalf, for example as an attorney, legal representative, or guardian, you need to send us proof of your authority in addition to the instructions above.

What to do if your personal information is not correct

You must write to inform us and ask for it to be corrected. We must tell you within 21 days what we have done about it. If we do not agree that the information is incorrect, you may ask us to record your disagreement. You can also appeal to the Information Commissioner's Office or apply to a court for an order to correct, block, erase or destroy the inaccurate information.                 

How we handle complaints about data protection

Please let us know if you are not happy about the way we:

  • are using your personal information

  • handled your subject access request, or

  • you believe the personal information we hold about you is wrong

We will deal with your complaint under the council's Feedback Policy

If you are not satisfied after we have responded to your complaint, you may make a further complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office.

Back to top

Contact us


Legal, Democratic and Strategy Services,
Borough of Poole,
Civic Centre,
BH15 2RU