[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit supporting notes

Required Information

In order to complete the online Claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit form, the following information will be needed:

  • the applicant's details
  • if required, details of somebody else (like a friend or relative) that we should talk to regarding this claim
  • the applicant's partner's details (if they have one and they normally live with the applicant)
  • details of any children that live with the applicant
  • details of any other people that also live with the applicant
  • details of any allowances, tax credits or pension credits that the applicant, partner, children and any other people living with the applicant, receive
  • savings, investments or property
  • employment details, including any self-employment details
  • benefits and pensions and any other money coming in
  • where the applicant lives
  • the landlord's details and their relationship to the applicant or the applicant's partner
  • the rent and what it covers (for example, inclusive of meals, utility bills, Council Tax, and so on)

For any Housing Benefit awarded, the applicant will need to decide:

  • how often the benefit will be paid
  • where it will be paid to (for example direct to your landlord or into a bank or building society account)

Finally, the applicant will need to provide:

  • anything else needed to support the claim
  • any reasons why the claim should be backdated

Back to top


After entering all the details, the online form will provide details of what evidence will be needed. You will need to indicate what evidence that you intend to provide to support the claim. Please ensure that all evidence provided, to support this application, are original documents. If you are not sure if we need to see evidence of something, get in touch with us and we will tell you what we need to see.

The following table provides an indication of the types of evidence required:


Evidence Types

Identity (you, your partner, children and other people living with you)

Two of the following: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Passport, National Insurance Number Card, Medical Card, Driving Licence, UK Residence Permit, EEC Identity Card.


Recently paid utility bill (Gas, Electric, Water), Council Tax Notification, TV Licence.

National Insurance Number

National Insurance Number Card, Payslips or letters from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

Capital, savings and investments

Usually if the total of your capital, savings and investments is less than £6,000, you will not need to provide evidence. However, if they are more than £6,000 we will need proof, for example your building society book, bank books, bank statements etc, Whatever proof you send must cover the two months before this claim and show transactions for that period. If you bank online, we can accept printouts (not ATM printouts) showing transactions for the last two months. If you open a new account you must tell us.

Earnings (you, your partner and other adults living with you)

The last five payslips if paid every week, the last three payslips if paid every two weeks, or the last two payslips if paid every month. The Certificate of Earnings can be used to provide evidence about earnings. We may need to contact the employer if this information is not provided.

Self-employed earnings (you or your partner)

Accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, details of your trading records so far. Alternatively you can complete a Self-Employed Assessment form.

Other income (you, your partner and other adults living with you)

Pension slips from a former employer, or a letter from the court showing how much maintenance is being received. We need to see evidence of any money people pay you for board and lodgings.

Benefits, allowances or pensions (you, your partner and other adults living with you)

Current award notices or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) confirming how much is received.

Private tenancy and rent

A rent book; rent receipts; a tenancy agreement; a letter from your landlord - or ask your landlord to complete Certificate of Rent.

Other money paid out

Letters about student grants or maintenance agreements.

Childcare costs

Receipts of the childcare costs you pay. They must show the costs, times and the name of the person providing the care.

Student status (you or your partner)

Evidence of term time dates of study and grants/loans or other funding received.

We will start to process your claim after it is submitted, but the evidence we need must be brought in (or sent) as soon as possible. We cannot pay you benefit until we have seen the evidence we need.

It is recommended that valuable items such as bank books or passports are not sent in the post. They should be brought to the Benefit Office and we will get the information we need from them and return them immediately.

Back to top

If you need help to fill in the form

If you need any help, contact the Council's Benefits Service by telephone or visit us at the council's offices. If you have difficulty filling in the form and you cannot come into the offices, we may be able to arrange for someone to visit you in your home. Please telephone us to arrange a visit.

Or you can get in touch with an organisation like the Citizens Advice Bureau.

For more information or to request a different format such as - Easy read, large print, audio tape or another language please contact the benefit office. Information is also available on the Translation page.

Back to top

What to do next

When you have submitted the form, we will send you an email with the details of what you have entered as a PDF attachment. The last page of the attachment is a declaration - please sign it and send it, or bring it, to us with the evidence we need (see above).
If you cannot get the evidence we need straight away, do not worry. Send the declaration to us with the evidence you do have and let us know that you will be sending some further evidence later.

Back to top

How your Benefits Office collects and uses information

We will use the information you give in this form, and in any supporting evidence you send, to process your claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit. It may also be used for the accounting and recovery of Council Tax.

The authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

These other bodies include government departments, like the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP); other local authorities and private-sector organisations such as banks and organisations that may lend you money.

We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless the law allows this.

Your local council is the data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act.

If you want to know more about what information we have about you, or the way we use that information, please ask us.

Back to top

Getting your benefit right

We may need to visit you at home to confirm some of the details on this form. 

You can do an estimate of entitlement by using one of these benefit calculators.

Back to top

Contact us

Benefits Service
Financial Services
PO Box 722
BH15 2YE

T: (01202) 633114
F: (01202) 633150
E: Financial Services 
Fraud Confidential Hotline: 0800 096 3596

Offices open: Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.15pm, Friday 8.30am - 4.45pm.