All Private Hire vehicles must be licensed unless exempt by legislation.
The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 defines a private hire vehicle as:
"any motor vehicle adapted to carry less than nine passengers and which is provided for hire with the services of a driver to carry passengers, but which is not already licensed as a hackney carriage (taxi) or as a public service vehicle (bus or coach)".
The only exemption from this legislation is where the transport is provided solely in connection with a wedding or a funeral (section 75).
If you have any questions please contact the Taxi Licensing Officer.
- be less than five years old at the date of first licensing
- posess a valid Road Fund Licence
- be clean and tidy, inside and out
- carry a fire extinguisher which is within the manufacturers' recommended replacement date and in a clean and usable condition
- carry a first aid kit with a full set of contents, preferably kept within a waterproof or sealed bag
- carry a spare wheel and the tools to change it or a tyre reinflation kit if the vehicle is constructed without the provision to carry a spare wheel.
- have fully operational windows
- have seatbelts in good condition and working order
- rooflights, if fitted, must be working and attached directly to the gutter or roof-rack retaining bolts. Lights attached to roofbars or their brackets will not be allowed
- a taximeter, if fitted, will be tested
Applicants must complete and return:
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence Application Form on the right hand side of this page.
If you need assistance to complete the application forms, you are welcome to visit the Passenger Transport office and we will be happy to help you.
Applicants must supply:
- Insurance certificate which provides for private hire and reward
- V5 vehicle registration document (Contact DVLA - 0870 240 0010)
- MOT certificate if vehicle is over one year old
- undergo a visual inspection by our Taxi Licensing Officer
- if over one year old, have a valid MOT certificate
Licence fee of £147.00 per annum.