All Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers must be licensed. The application process can take up to six weeks. All forms must be correctly completed or they will be returned to the applicant.
Application packs containing all necessary forms can be obtained from the address on the right.
If you need assistance to complete the application forms, you are welcome to visit the Passenger Transport office and we will be happy to help you.
If you have any questions please contact our Taxi Licencing Officer.
- be over twenty-one years of age and
- have held a DVLA driving licence for a minimum of twelve months and
- have passed the Driving Standards Agency Hackney Carriage/Private Hire driving assessment within the previous 12 months,
- have passed the Borough of Poole Safeguarding, Disability and Dementia Awareness course, and
- be a ‘fit and proper’ person
Applicants must complete and return:
- Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Drivers' Licence Application Form
- Disclosure and Barring Service Application Form
- Statutory Declaration
- Medical Declaration Form
- Medical Certificate to be completed by you and your doctor (Your doctor will not be able to provide this for free under the National Health Service so you may have to pay a fee)
If you need assistance to complete the application forms, please contact our taxi licensing officer.
Applicants must supply:
- current passport or original birth certificate
- DVLA driving licence (including the paper counterpart)
- National Insurance number (NI card or P45/P60)
- two proofs of current address eg. recent utility bill or bank statement
Photocopies of documents will not be acceptable.
Applicants must undergo a knowledge test. This is a verbal test lasting approximately one hour. It consists of twenty questions designed to test your knowledge of roads and locations within the Borough of Poole.
- Application fee of £91.50
- Licence fee of £62.50 per annum
- Borough of Poole Safeguarding, Disability and Dementia Awareness course £20 - book online
- Medical Certificate (payable to your doctor)
- Practical driving assessment (payable to the DSA)