[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole


What we can do

  • Remove fly-tipped waste from all Council owned land including open spaces
What we don’t do
  • Remove fly-tipped waste from private property (see below for further information)

How you can help

About Fly-tipping
Council Owned Land
Privately Owned Land
Preventing Fly-tipping
What to do if you see someone fly-tipping
Further Information
Bulky Household Waste

About Fly-tipping 

Defra advises that in 2008-09 there were 1.16 million fly-tipping incidents dealt with by local authorities. This shows a decrease of 9.3% from the 1.28 million reported in 2007-08.

The estimated cost of clearance of illegally dumped waste reported by local authorities in this period was £54.9 million.

Most of us dispose of our waste using the proper and safe routes, but there are others who choose to tip their waste on other peoples land, and at unauthorised points throughout the borough. This is fly-tipping. Fly-tipping is the illegal disposal of waste on land.

The consequences of fly-tipping affect us all….

  • Cleaning up fly-tipping costs us all money
  • It is dangerous and potentially harmful to you and your family’s health
  • It spoils our enjoyment of the environment
  • It can cause serious pollution to Poole’s environment

Back to top 

Council Owned Land

We remove fly-tipped waste from all Council owned land including open spaces e.g. recreation grounds, parks and heathland. All highway land including Council owned car parks and lay-bys.

Back to top

Privately Owned Land

Fly Tips on private property (for example private car park, retail park, garden, vacant land) are the responsibility of the occupier/owner. Please do not report a fly tip on private land unless you have evidence of the fly tipper or you are unable to contact the landowner.

Back to top 

Preventing fly-tipping

If you are considering paying for someone else to dispose of waste on your behalf for example a builder, gardener, house keeper, we recommend you check:

  • That you are using a genuine/ reputable company/individual
  • That they have a current Waste Carrier Registration (you can check a person or company is registered by calling the Environment Agency on 08708 506506 (Mon -Fri 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) or viewing online at www.environment-agency.gov.uk)
  • Where they are proposing to take your waste
  • They can give you a receipt for this service showing their registered trading address and a contact number
  • As a precaution, you could also note down their vehicle registration number

By following these simple guidelines you greatly reduce the likelihood of your waste later being found amongst a fly-tip and the Council having to investigate the possibility of pursuing enforcement action against you.

Back to top 

What to do if you see someone fly-tipping

Fly-tipping is illegal and dangerous and it can ruin the appearance of your neighbourhood. Don’t put up with it – report it.  The rubbish can be removed and, with your help, the crime can be investigated.

If you see someone fly-tipping or would like to report an area where fly-tipping has taken place, take note of the following:

  • The date, time and place of the occurrence
  • What the waste looks like and how much of it there is
  • A description of any person(s) and/or vehicles involved, along with their vehicle registration number(s)

You should then use our online report it form or contact details above.  We will then investigate the offence and arrange for the removal of any waste on Council land. If the fly-tip is on private land we will make efforts to contact the owner.

Back to top 

Further information

We provide a Household Waste Recycling Centre located at Nuffield Road which is open to residents of Poole. The site is open seven days a week between:

  • 9am and 5pm (1 April to 30 September)
  • 9am and 4pm (1 October to 31 March).

Back to top 

Bulky Household Waste

If you have bulky items to dispose of and are unable to take them to the Household Waste Recycling Centre we can collect them for a small charge. Please call 01202 261700 and our Customer Service team will your discuss requirements with you.

Back to top