What is Poole Community Transport Service?
Poole Community Transport Service offers low floor and wheelchair accessible transport, along with door to door services by Dial a Bus and the Voluntary Driver scheme, for Borough of Poole residents who do not have access to a car and are unable to use, or find it difficult to use, public transport.
Am I eligible to become a member?
You can apply to become a member if:
- You are a resident of Poole
- You are unable to use Public Transport for some journeys
- You do not have access to a car
- You need help getting into Poole and/or getting to essential appointments
What does membership offer?
Members may pre-book a trip on the following services:
- Operates Monday to Saturday.
- You may have three Dial-a-Bus bookings on our system at a time.
- You will be collected from your home from 10.45am onwards.
- You will arrive in Poole by 12pm.
- The Dial-a-Bus stops at Shopmobility and the Dolphin Shopping Centre on all six days. You may also opt to get off at Asda on Mondays and Sainsburys Tuesday to Saturday.
- You will have approximately 2 hours shopping time..
- All vehicles are fully accessible and can accommodate your shopping trolley as well as mobility equipment such as a zimmer frame/rollator or wheelchair.
- Subject to assessment you may travel whilst seated in your wheelchair.
- Able to book up to the day before you travel
(Mobility Scooters are not permitted on Dial-a-Bus for safety reasons)
Voluntary Driver Service
Voluntary drivers will collect members in a car from their home and take them to appointments, social events or for essential journeys.
(We cannot provide a voluntary driver for your hospital appointments or shopping. In some circumstances hospitals can provide a car and driver for getting to appointments - please ask your GP for more information).
- Voluntary Drivers provide transport in their own cars for your essential journeys.
- All drivers have had a DBS check.
- We have a wheelchair accessible vehicle that may be pre-booked with a voluntary driver if you need to travel whilst seated in your wheelchair. A safety assessment will be undertaken before you travel.
- Subject to completion of a short training course, family or friends may hire the wheelchair accessible car to take you out in your wheelchair. A charge will be made based on the mileage covered.
- You may make three bookings in advance and we will try to accommodate regular bookings where we can.
- We will always try to accommodate your request for a Voluntary Driver however, this service is dependent upon driver availability.
- A minimum of three days notice is required for booking.
(Mobility Scooters cannot be accommodated on the Voluntary Driver Service for safety reasons)
How much will it cost?
- Annual membership is £6 per year.
- Dial-a-Bus Fares are £2 each way / £4 return or free for holders of English National Concessionary bus passes.
- Journeys with the Voluntary Driver Service are £4 for the first five miles and £1 per mile thereafter. A minimum return trip is £8.
Travel on the Poole Dial-a-bus is free for holders of English National Concessionary bus passes.
How do I join?
If you feel you are eligible to become a member then please contact us on telephone number (01202) 262220.
The Community Transport & Travel Co-ordinator will arrange to visit you at your home to confirm eligibility, discuss your transport needs and decide how we can best help you.
You can find some more information about the scheme by clicking the PDF links above.
Voluntary Driving – Can you help?
We would love to hear from anyone who enjoys driving and meeting people. Maybe you can help out even for just an hour or so every now and again?
You can use your own car in return for a mileage allowance, currently £0.45.
If you have a valid driving licence but do not have a car then perhaps you could help out by driving our wheelchair accessible Citroen Berlingo. Full training will be provided.
Voluntary Drivers make an important contribution to people living within the Borough of Poole enabling them to live a full and active life within their own community. It is the volunteers’ dedication that keeps this much appreciated service running.
If you think you can help by sparing some of your time and becoming a Voluntary Driver and would like some more information then please contact the Community Transport & Travel Co-ordinator on (01202) 262220 or email.
Back to top