[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Adult Social Care - Comments, Compliments, Complaints

We aim to provide good quality services for our residents and visitors and are really keen to hear what you think. We are committed to learning from your comments, complaints and compliments as this helps us improve our services.

Please tell us if:

  • we have done something wrong or badly

  • we have done something well

  • we haven’t done something that we should have

  • you feel you’ve been treated badly or unfairly

  • you think we could change things for the better

How you can get in touch

Please tell the people who provide the service (you could ask a friend or relative to speak on your behalf if you wish).  Alternatively you can contact:

The Complaints Officer 
Commissioning and Improvement – People Services
Borough of Poole
Civic Centre 
BH15 2RT

e-mail: comments.adultsocialcare@poole.gov.uk

You can make a complaint using the 'report it' online form.

The comments, compliments and complaints fact sheet is available here

The Complaints and Representations policy is here.

The Tell Us About It! page on the Borough of Poole website gives details of how you can actively get involved and work with Social Services to improve services.

If you want to make a complaint we will listen, respond and improve:



  • To make sure we really understand the issues

  • To find out what you want to happen

  • To discuss a plan of how we will deal with your complaint and any outcome you are seeking

  • To keep you informed of how your complaint is progressing

  • To act quickly if we can

We will need to check that you (or the person on whose behalf you are making a complaint) are either receiving services or may be eligible for them.

If your complaint involves both Health and Adult Social Care Services you will receive one single response from the organisation which takes overall responsibility for answering your complaint. That organisation will speak to the others involved to ensure all points of the complaint are addressed and answered.


  • We will work with you to plan how best to deal with your complaint, and acknowledge this within 3 working days

  • There are a number of ways that we can address the issues of your complaint including:
    - Asking the relevant team manager to talk through the issues with you, followed by a letter of response
    - Arranging a meeting with yourself and key people involved in the complaint to discuss the issues
    - Arranging for a formal investigation to take place.

Whatever option we take we will discuss this with you and advise you of how long it is likely to take for you to find out the outcome.

If a formal investigation needs to take place, it will be carried out by someone who does not directly provide you with services. This person will speak to you and the other people involved and then prepare a draft report which they will share with you and key people involved, to check for factual accuracy.

They will then produce a final report with conclusions and recommendations. A senior officer will write to you on completion of the investigation, offering a formal response to your complaint. This response will include a copy of the final report.


Complaints give us valuable understanding of people’s experiences and where we might be going wrong.

As a result we are committed to learning from complaints, improving our services and advising people of the changes we have made.

Our Annual Complaints Report (copies available on our website or from the Complaints Manager) and the Tell Us About It! page on the Borough of Poole website give details of some of the things we have learnt and changes we have made as a result of complaints.

back to top

What else can I do?

If, following the final response from the senior officer, we are unable to resolve your complaint, you can refer it to The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman who is entirely independent from the Council. The Ombudsman can investigate a complaint regarding delay, unfairness, inefficiency or a similar defect in the way a decision is reached by the Council (but not the merits of the decision itself). The Ombudsman will not normally make an investigation until the Council has had a chance to resolve the matter locally through its own Complaints Procedure.

back to top

Complaints about services from independent providers

If you are receiving services from an agency or care home you should normally make your initial complaint to the manager of that service. It would be helpful if you send us a copy of your complaint and the response to help us monitor our providers.

If this does not sort the problem out (and Borough of Poole is paying towards your service), you can seek advice from the Complaints Manager on how best to take your complaint further.

Most care agencies and care homes are registered with the Care Quality Commission. They are interested in concerns or complaints that might be a breach of the regulated standards that agencies and homes have to meet.

back to top

Useful addresses

Adult Social Care Helpdesk,
Borough of Poole,
Civic Centre, Poole BH15 2RT
tel: (01202) 633902

Citizens Advice Bureau
Beech House
28-30 Wimborne Road
BH15 2BU
tel: 03442 451 291 (Dorset Adviceline)

Care Quality Commission
CQC National Customer Service Centre
Newcastle Upon Tyne
tel: 03000 616161
To contact by email, please go to http://www.cqc.org.uk/contact-us and complete the online form

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
tel: 024 7682 0000

back to top



Contact us


01202 261159

Text Relay:
18001 01202 261159

The Complaints Officer 
 Commissioning and Improvement – People Services
Borough of Poole
Civic Centre 
BH15 2RU